Stretch marks are very unsightly, and can sometimes ruin the entire look of that knee-length dress or sleeveless top you have wanted to wear for ages. But with Derma One’s stretch marks treatment you can easily wear and flaunt them confidently.
What are stretch marks exactly?
Stretch marks are long, narrow streaks, stripes, or lines that develop on the skin. They occur when the skin is suddenly stretched and are extremely common.
Areas which can be affected?
They can occur on a range of body parts, including the stomach, thighs, hips, breasts, upper arms, and lower back.
The most common areas affected include:
What are the common causes of stretch marks?
Extreme skin growth or shrinkage can cause stretch marks.
Common causes of skin stretching include:
- Pregnancy: Between 50 and 90 percent of women who are pregnant experience stretchmarks during or after birth.
- Puberty: Rapid growth is typical in young people going through puberty. This can lead to stretch marks.
- Rapid weight gain: Putting on a lot of weight in a short space of time can cause stretch marks.
- Medical conditions: Certain conditions can cause stretch marks.
- Corticosteroid use: Prolonged use of corticosteroid creams and lotions can decrease levels of collagen in the skin. Collagen strengthens and supports the skin, and a reduced amount can increase the risk of stretch marks.
Signs and symptoms
- Before stretch marks begin to emerge, the skin can appear thin and pink. It may also feel irritated or itchy.
- The marks initially develop as wrinkly, raised streaks that can be red, purple, pink, reddish-brown or dark brown, depending on skin color. The streaks eventually fade and flatten and tend to change to a silvery color over time.
- Topical medications